Friday, August 04, 2006

What Have I Been Doing Lately???


Several quilts are now in the completion stage of hand-sewing down the sleeve on the back. Above is my original 5" square drawing for one of them, and below is a detail of the finished piece:

Above:
GLOBAL WARMING (c)Pat Dolan - detail. Full size is 26"w x 27"h

I love color and use lots of it - often opposite colors on the color wheel as in "Global Warming" above. I like the drama, the impact, the power of the images in full, living color.

Why is it then, that suddenly monochromatic colors are becoming so fascinating? At the moment, I have three white+off-white quilts in the works plus have drawings for several more...
Here is my first monochromatic piece, just completed. It is based on a foam core experiment that featured paper clips...
Below: PAPER CLIP MORNING (c)Pat Dolan 12"w x 21"h

Here, from my art journal, are just some of my drawings for upcoming art quilts. I've tried to put the original inspiration with the drawing so you can visualize how I come up with my designs.

Above: a value study of the magazine clipping on the right above the drawing.

Above: the drawing for the reverse applique pictured BELOW that is in it's initial stages on the design wall.


Above: The stone patterns in the magazine photo on the left above captured my attention and inspired the drawing on the right. The drawing was completed today - who knows when I'll begin (or end) the quilt...

By the way, today in the mail were two rejection slips from PNQE XIII (Pennsylvania National Quilt Extravaganza 13). You win some and you lose some!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I have only just found you today ... followed up your comment on Ed M's blog. These monochromatic designs are just as beautiful as your bright ones. I would find it hard to choose which type I liked best ...

Ed Maskevich said...

These are really great pieces, especially "Paper Clip Morning." Keep it up.

Gerrie said...

Wonderful work, as usual. I saw your two pieces in Groton on Friday. It was a nice show.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the look in your sketchbook. I am trying to learn how to be more coherent in recording ideas and getting them into fabric.

Linda