Friday, December 01, 2006

Experimenting...



This is my diningroom table at the moment, covered with dried leaves, rusted fabrics, watercolor pencils and fabric markers of several varieties, and the first "experiment" I'm attempting on the rust-dyed fabrics. I chose leaves because oak leaves at this time of year seem to match the rust-color in the fabrics... and so I collected a handful of leaves on my windy walk today.

At the moment, I'm not satisfied with the results thus far, although I can see lots of potentials with regard to using these tools. I love to draw so drawing with my sewing machine comes very naturally to me - but these drawings are too complete. They don't need any sewing to define the image. Back to the drawing board... and more experimentation. Tomorrow.


Meanwhile, while the wouthwest and mid section of the nation have experienced extreme weather of the wintry sort, we here in central Jersey have had balmy days and nights much of the week. Late this afternoon, prior to the arrival of the cold front, this was what I saw while out getting our mail.


The view as reflected in a puddle...

And at dusk facing the East...

And facing the West...

The cold front did arrive around 8pm this evening with some wild wind and a bit of rain. The power dimmed numerous times, but stayed on and all is now relatively calm.
Our thoughts and prayers are with the millions who have no power tonight and for the unforseeable future.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I particularly like the reflections in the puddle and of course I love your rusted fabric.