Saturday, January 06, 2007

Reflections on My Life in Art in the Year 2006


Above are 15 of the completed fiberart pieces completed in 2006.
It was a very productive year for me, artistically speaking. The year began with a series of photo quilts inspired by my late grandfather's 1885-1969 photographs. Then a class with Laura Cater-Woods in April at the Greenville Arms in upstate New York provided me with opportunities to explore the world of texture by way of experimentation and playfulness. One of the quilts that evolved from that class is now part of the Ricky Tims traveling exhibition "Expressions: Art Quilt 2006. Then the Kansas Art Quilters put out a call for anyone willing to make a victorian themed art quilt using Fabri Quilt, Inc. supplied fabrics so my Victorian Rose Window quilt materialized. Somewhere along the line Ann Flaherty put out a challenge on the QuiltArt mailing list for Fabled Fibers, involving the use of non-copy-written children's stories in the development of art quilts. And so the Baba Yaga and Vasalisa quilts struggled into being. And towards the fall, I became enamored with more textural effects leaning towards the topographical images.

Three or four other quilts were in-the-works as the year ended, but they are not yet complete. They will be among the 2007 fiberart pieces that come into form this year.

Aside from personal creativity, I learned quite a bit about curating fiber art exhibitions. As a member of Fiber Revolution, I invited our group to participate in an exhibit at Georgian Court University, where I had taught. That experience was eye-opening, to be sure - with some controversy evolving around the "professionalism" (or lack thereof as percelved by some) of the exhibit. On the other hand, personally I was delighted with the exhibit, as were the students and the faculty. Also, as a Fiber Revolutionary, I collected and submitted a proposal for an exhibition by our group at the Museum of the American Quilter's Society in Paducah, KY. What I learned from these two experiences is more than I will share in a blog! Suffice it to say, there is way more involved in curating exhibitions than most artists can possibly imagine!

In the midst of all the above, I also created one Journal Quilt for each month of 2006. These are each the size of a sheet of computer paper and created due to a challenge by Karey Bresenhan of the International Quilt Festival.
Below are 12 Journal Quilts completed in 2006.


Last, but not least, 2006 was a year in which one of my pieces was featured in Karey Bresenhan's 2006 book entitled "Creative Quilting: The Journal Quilt Project" p. 201.

Considering I had shoulder surgery in March of 2006 (with on-going complications), the year was very productive indeed. I am grateful for all that has been in this past year and I look forward to the adventures of 2007.

No comments: