Tuesday, September 16, 2008

QUILTS=ART-QUILTS Acceptance!


"Red Ribbons," pictured above, has been accepted in the upcoming QUILTS=ART=QUILTS 2008 at the Schweinfurth Museum in Auburn, NY! While I've had work accepted there in the past, recently my work has been rejected, so I'm very happy to have a piece in this prestigious exhibit. This piece is one of my larger works, measuring 32"x44.5," and is rather dramatic. It is reverse appliquéd, using Jeanette Viviano’s hand-dyed orange/red/blue fabric beneath the solid black Kona cotton surface. It is another in my “paradox” series - a dramatic study with graduated colors in reverse orders, top to bottom and bottom to top.

Meanwhile, I've been playing with some of my rusted fabrics...

I've been experimenting with adding touches of color to the rusted fabrics. I've used watercolors and colored pencils with some success. I'm going to use some acrylics as soon as I have a few moments alone in the studio. I suspect they will add more color than either traditional transparent watercolor or colored pencils. Depending upon what effect is desired, no doubt all will be useful one way or another.

The piece above has already been torn apart - the non-painted portion of it has been soaked in a vinegar/water solution and is now twisted around our very rusty stair rail. Since I plan to clean and paint the stair rail before winter, it seemed the perfect time to try some more rusting experiments...

In other news, prior to our move I received an invitation from Kim Ritter to participate in the upcoming NEW FOCUS. It seems that Kim Ritter and Judy Dales have been invited by Coos Art Museum, Coos Bay, OR, to curate an exhibition entitled "New Focus" for the Atrium. Below is a detail shot of a piece I'm considering sending off to NEW FOCUS. I have several pieces under consideration, and probably won't decide until the last possible minute - due date is September 30th for images...

And one last photo: this is "Fuzz Butt," affectionately named by our granddaughter after she found him trapped in one of the window wells. He/she was probably on one of his/her first outings away from home territory. Why the little thing was on our huge concrete patio remains a mystery - but it's easy to figure out how he/she fell into the window well. The poor little thing was small enough to hold in one hand! Fuzz Butt was released by said granddaughter, with much regret... Actually, she'd rather have a dog, but we vetoed that idea along with the pet bunny idea. Aren't we mean?!

3 comments:

Sue Reno said...

Hi Pat, congratulations on both Q=A=Q and the Coos Art Museum invitational! You deserve the validation of your work.

Karen Newman Fridy said...

LOVE the Ribbons...congrats! Your rusting additions look like fun...what do you do to make the watercolors permanent?

Pat Dolan said...

Most watercolors are permanent on paper (and on clothing...), but I do heat set them to make sure. One can also use a fabric medium of some sort. In my understanding, mediums contain an acrylic base which bonds to the fabric.