Wednesday, June 29, 2005

Art Cards - Happiness!

Wow! Who knew so many folks liked these little Art Cards so much?! Thank you! Virginia actually put up the photos from a digital I sent her because she hasn’t even received my cards in the mail yet – and two are already sold within hours of going up on her web-site!

Please visit: Virginia A. Spiegel
Until July 31 - American Cancer Society Fundraiser - Fiber Art Postcards at: http://www.virginiaspiegel.com/NewFiles/ACSFundraiser.html

With all this positive feedback, I have continued making the Art Cards and have even made a few more Trading Cards – although I find that small format rather challenging. Here are some of my latest efforts – all machine quilted on my hand-dyed chiffon:


Top: GO WITH THE FLOW - 2 ½” x 3 ½”
Bottom: SPRING SPROUTS - 2 ½” x 3 ½”


Top: SUMMER SUN - 2 ½” x 3 ½”
Middle: OCEAN WAVES - 2 ½” x 3 ½”
Bottom: FUNKY BANANAS - 2 ½” x 3 ½”

And here is another piece done on the left-over scraps of the hand-dyed chiffon. So far, it has no titles. Suggestions are welcome! This piece measures 5 ½” wide by 10 ½” long.



I’ve also done some quilting on a piece that I put up last month that I’m calling FLIGHTS OF FANCY. It measures 10” x 14” and began with hand-painting Lutradur. After the paint dried, I decided to try painting fusible webbing, to which I added some feathers, Angelina Fibers and some fancy funky yarn. The quilting does not show up as well as I would have liked so I may go back into it and add more quilting with darker threads.

Several of you have asked about Lutradur. I first read about it in CLOTH, PAPER, SCISSORS, Winter 2004. Lutradur is the name of a polyester/fiber/fabric that is made + sold in 60” widths. It is sold by the yard and can be quite expensive to have shipped – unless you stipulate that it’s OK for the shipper to fold + box it. It is similar to a heavy weight interfacing and I like to use it as the base to support other items from paint to Angelina Fibers to bits of thread and yarn to transfer prints, stamping, etc. I suspect it is nasty to use for hand-sewing or hand-beading simply because of its heavy consistency.

Anyway, here is FLIGHTS OF FANCY (10” x 14”):


As with the other images, you can click on any photo to get a closer view. All pieces are 'for sale,' just in case anyone is interested!

3 comments:

allison aller said...

This is the best use of feathers I have ever seen in textile work. Really evocative...outstanding work!
(thanks goes to sharon bogins for the link to your blog!)

Texacola said...

Blog searching for inkjet replacement has lead me here, we also cover things like inkjet replacement too. Thanks for the great blog!

Enlargement said...

Interesting blog you have here, I landed here on accident. I was searching for something else and came across your site. I found it pretty interesting and entertaining. I got you book marked.

I will pop back in from time to time to see what you have new here.

My site is a bit different than yours, but just as entertaining and educational, I run a free printable scrapbooking pages related site pertaining to free printable scrapbooking pages related articles.