Saturday, October 15, 2005

What a Week!


My mother, Alice Irene Buck, 1910-1985

This has been a very exciting week for me - so many opportunities are unfolding that I'm spinning in my own little spiral of joy!

1: Keisha Roberts has selected one of my photo-transfer quilts for her upcoming curated exhibit at the Mid-Atlantic Quilt Festival in February 2006 entitled: The Nearness of You: Memory and Commemoration in Quiltmaking.

2: Keisha then requested a professional photo of said quilt which she hopes to use in her upcoming magazine articles about the exhibit!

3: Anne Copeland has offered the membership of her group free websites for a minimal contribution. Now that's an offer that's hard to refuse!

4: My knee is steadily improving.

5: My creativity is growing by leaps and bounds.

6: My self-confidence is rising with all this good news.

7: My new printer has arrived, is installed & is now working like a charm.

8: It's stopped raining (after 13 1/2" in 5 days - all of which we needed since we've been in a drought!) and the sun - and the nearly full moon - are visible once again.

So today I spent the day scanning in images dating from the 1880s to the 1980s. I have several more ideas for photo-quilting and am now more inspired than ever to proceed. Some will be done with photos printed directly on fabric - which I've finally learned how to do without having the cotton jam up under the printer-heads. And some will be done with photo-transfers. Some will have actual photos sewn in. And, of course, some will be a combination of one or all of the above. I just checked to see how many pictures I scanned & discovered I did a whopping 90 photographs!

I scanned everything from baby, wedding, holiday - including some 1915 Halloween pictures of my mom & uncle as kids in costumes, house, church, store, picnic and quilt photos... All are presently in large tiff files. I've jpegged a few for your enjoyment.

1 comment:

Gerrie said...

Pat, You and I are having parallel experiences. I am so happy for you, too!!