Sunday, April 06, 2008

Spring Birds

Here are a few of the visitors this past week to our bird feeder. The blackbirds are back, signaling that Spring is really here, no matter what else is going on! The Red-winged blackbirds, the cowbirds (black with a brown head), and the two below.

COMMON GRACKLE (purple):
Habitat - lawns, parks, open woodland. 12"
Bright yellow eyes - varying colors from blue to purple to light green to bronze, depending upon the light.






RUFOUS-SIDED TOWHEE:
Habitat - thickets and brushy woodland edges. 7-9 1/2"
Their eyes are the same rusty red color as their sides. Amazing to see!





I continue to feed the birds so that I can enjoy them in between sorting, packing, making phone calls to arrange a myriad of changes in our lives. I may not see some of them in our future home - we'll be right in town,not at the edge of a wood and swamp land.

Oh, and the Peepers are peeping from afternoon 'til dawn - seeking partners so as to continue their propagation.

Yes, spring is in the air. And two of our three grandchildren are falling in love...

2 comments:

Vicki W said...

Those are great photos! I saw our first Towhee this week too. Now I am on the look out for the Rose-Breasted Grosbeak. They usually show up with the Dogwood blooms.

Anonymous said...

How beautiful! I see Cardinals, Robins, Woodpeckers and more here in Montclair. However, today I met my first Groundhog of the season, right in back of the apartment where I live. Spring is here!