Friday, May 02, 2008

Count Down to Moving Day

We're in our final week in New Jersey. The appliance people are coming on Monday to prepare our new HE Washing Machine for moving and to turn off the gas line to the dryer and cap it. Tuesday the packers arrive to pack whatever I have chosen not to pack: all china & glassware; large framed paintings and mirrors; crystal; floor and table lamps; and other special items. I've already packed about 100 boxes and will pack another dozen or so by Monday. Every bit I can do will save us money in the long run. Packing charges are outrageous! That's why I already packed 3 mirror boxes of frame art and photographs. They'll have another 2-3 more they can pack. I'm glad I've had three full months to prepare for this move - it's been a great time to prioritize, sort, toss and give away stuff! The actual packing part isn't too bad, but finding places to put all these full/heavy boxes in our townhouse is a challenge.

The new house is twice as large as our town house, so we'll be able to spread out at last. And we'll have a garage big enough for both of our cars AND lots of storage space. Take a look at the inside of this garage:


Of course, when we arrive, the garage will be empty - but not for long!!! And there is actual WORK space out there as well as tons of built-in storage space!

And take a look at the garage door on the left - there is a person door inset into the car door! Imagine that, being able to go outside without opening the garage door...

Below is a view of the front windows which have a sort of windowbox planter built beneath them. The windows face north so I'm thinking bright shade-loving impatients will work well there. I'd like several different kinds of hostas in front of them. Right now there are huge evergreen bushes that must be removed.


I'm looking forward to having a garden again - heaven knows I can no longer kneel and do the weeding or planting. But our daughter and her DH will be a huge help with the plantings, I'm sure. And they know the best places to shop for plants. If there's no lilac bush on the property, I'll be getting one or more. We know there is a large collection of varied day lilies in the back. Oh, you'll see photos once we actually move in.

Moving-In Day is next Saturday, May 10th. I'll be a tad busy for the next little while!

No comments: