Awhile ago, I took the opportunity to over-dye a few of the lightly rust-dyed pieces I did a year or more ago. I'm working on a series of "rust works" and need more background material on which to work. Since we have some badly rusted hand-rails that I'm getting ready to paint, they were the perfect place to try over-dyeing some cloth. Here are the photos of the vinegar/water soaked cottons wrapped, covered & tied to the stair hand-rail.
And here are the results of that experiment:
Here's another one done the same way on rust-dyed pre-printed neutral-patterned commercial fabric:
This is a piece that's being rust-over-dyed on an old cookie sheet with a few rusty tools added for good measure. After soaking the cotton in vinegar and water, I placed the fabric on the cookie sheet, then dropped the rusty tools on top of the fabric. Then I put a piece of clear food wrap over the entire tray and waited a day or two for the rust to do it's job. Here is the result of the cookie sheet experiment: Notice the yellow in the cloth - it was a surprise element about which I'm quite pleased!
A view of my pile of rusted fabrics & some complementary fabrics... A view of my work table with supplies readied for working. I used both watercolor and Prisma colored pencils on my over-painting experiments. And the results: So far, nothing is completed - I'm still experimenting and having a grand time of it!