Sunday, January 18, 2009
Inkjet Printing My Bird Photos on Fabric
Continuing my lessons on Adobe Photoshop Elements 6, today I learned to resize things differently than I had done on Elements 4. I prefer version 4 because I can change the pixel size, but version 6 makes sure the image doesn't loose any quality when being downsized.
I've been wanting to create from my multitude of bird photos and finally decided to try printing them on fabric and then embellishing them with stitches and whatever else they seem to call for. I began by printing one paper and one fabric print of each image - this way I have a paper image to refer to when I'm sewing that isn't distorted by being in the sewing machine or in my hand. Since I want to maintain a certain level of accuracy, it is imperative that I have a reference photo handy.
First, I edited out the background in each photo. I want each bird to be isolated and to have the background blank so I can stitch it whatever way suits the image.
These are all printed in a 4x6" format, so I was able to put two on each sheet. Because the organza sheets don't do especially well going through the printer twice in the same direction (organza starts to unravel immediately!), the images are right side up and up side down. It really doesn't matter, since they'll all be cut apart before I begin working with them.
Above you can see what I'm doing for the Raven Challenge - there are two raven photos that I want to work with. We'll see which one turns out best.
The one above is a European Robin - or Redbreast. I took the photo in Ireland in 2007.
I'll be posting my progress as it happens...
Reminder: All images are copyrighted by the artist.