Friday, May 06, 2016

More "Old" Artwork - This Time: PASTELS!


Looking over the old pastel paintings, I'm surprised that they all are portraits. I rarely do portraits, yet pastel is a perfect medium for doing them.


Pastels are all concentrated color/pigment and one can work rather quickly with them or slowly, if that is preferred. The latest pastel artists are now doing watercolor and/or acrylic underpaintings prior to adding the pastel to complete the piece. Other artists are now using pastels in their mixed media work. Maybe it's time for me to play with pastels a bit!


The one below is a portrait of our son during those rebellious years... He grew up but remains a bit of a rebel. I guess he inherited that from my side of the family. Dad and I have both been considered rebels!


For anyone living in central Pennsylvania, our local Pastel Society is having a show at The State College Framing Company and Gallery for the next 6 weeks. Tne gala opening is tonight beginning at 5:30 in the Hill's Plaza on South Atherton Street. No, I'm not a current member, but I was when we first moved here! It's a great group!

No comments: