Saturday, January 12, 2019

A New Dawn, A New Day, A New Year


A cardinal drawing on Arches 300# watercolor paper awaiting water and paint...

It seems that chaos is joining us all in this New Year, however, the flip side of chaos is opportunity, according to the ancient Chinese teachings. So I'm looking at the opportunities that about today and will reveal themselves as we go forward in time.

My artistic brain is on over-drive - which most of us know can be both exhilarating and demanding. And on the other side of that is all the obligations that go with daily living competing for attention. So far, I'm managing to shift gears back and forth without TOO much difficulty, however it is frustrating going either direction because our attention is so divided!

As you know, my sewing studio is in the lower level of our home. Thankfully, with my newly replaced knees I am able to move between the two floors with confidence and little pain. My leg muscles are still weak from so little use over the past number of years, but they are growing stronger with each flight of stairs!

So in the sewing arena, my mind is awhirl with so many new ideas (new to me, at any rate) that I'm almost overwhelmed with inspiration. IF only one could bottle up such enthusiasm and inspiration for those times when there is little of either in our present moment! Mostly, I'm keeping the bird/fiber art on hold as other obligations demand attention. But the fibers, laces, ribbons, threads and birds are flitting through my mind quite insistently!

Various pieces in progress...

In the studio, on the main level of our home, are watercolor paintings in various stages. Two are commissioned pieces - one nearly done and the other at the beginning with only the drawings on the paper. Then there's the Loose Watercolor competition on the Paint My Photo https://pmp-art.com/ - a bird in flight and a bird feather (both favorite subjects of mine!). The deadline is the end of the month...

Paint My Photo: loose watercolor challenge - drawings are ready, just not the time available!

And another artist's blog has a monthly challenge for keeping an art journal... that one I'll probably miss out on. But the bird in flight and the feather are already drawn on watercolor paper, begging for attention!

Cat portraits to be... on the page

Adding to the complexity of life is the upcoming, much anticipated visit of our granddaughter and her twin 6 year old daughters coming for a 3 day visit! This month! As in, next weekend! Monday is our Fibers Unlimited Artists group meeting for lunch and sharing... At least all the eye and dental appointments were LAST week! And there isn't currently a Homeowner's Association Board Meeting scheduled, so that's good. But the Bellefonte Art Museum's https://www.facebook.com/pg/bellefonteartmuseum/ PR takes a few hours at the beginning of each week to create and schedule the postings. They are mostly designed, but must be written and posted. Those change monthly, of course! Then there's the dogs nail appointment...and her yearly exam. Oh my, stop with the listing, girlfriend. Get over the list and settle on today, here and now!

Do you ever feel swamped with duties and responsibilities, etc.? My creativity is one of the ways I move out of time/space/worry and into the space outside time/space. It's always renewing, and that's just what I'm going to do. Tackle one of the many art projects at my disposal and immerse myself in creativity.

Happy New Year!

1 comment:

Mikhail Vladimirov said...

Thanks for this bblog post