Sunday, April 07, 2019

Metallic Leafing - Part 2


This is the large art table in my studio - covered with my gold/silver/copper leafing paraphernalia. They've been waiting for me to get back to them... Meanwhile, I've been planning our vacation, so there they sit...waiting.


I did manage to complete a few of them - both organically abstract. The 8" square one is marbling on a gessoed panel - no leafing involved. Just an experiment.

This smaller, 4x6" gessoed panel has both gold and silver gold leafing and the addition of acrylic paint.

They now hang with "Blue" (my black cat watercolor completed last year) in our entryway. The colors certainly go well together!

The following two pieces are both 4X6" gessoed panels.
This one has metallic leafing fragments adhered over sealed watercolor. I've laid the feather on top, but have no idea how to attach it without gluing it. And if I use glue, the feather will clump up and lay flat, making it much less attractive, in my opinion.

This one has both gold leaf sheets (very shiny) and liquid gold leaf which is quite dull by comparison, and has a mat finish. Again, I've laid a feather on it without yet attaching it. I like it this way, but may have to come up with a different solution to completing these two small pieces.

I'm thinking of painting ravens/crows on several of the leafed pieces still on the table in the first photographs. I also want to paint birds on the collaged sheet music attached to canvas in that first photo.

Updates will follow as I begin to get back to studio work once again!




1 comment:

Sami said...

I believe you have just started on your trip..I was just reading about it and saw your paintings on which you wish to attach feathers.
I assume paintings are on watercolor paper. You can try stitching them in a couple spots with a very fine fishing line or fine wire and knotting in back then a touch of glue at the end of the shaft. Hope this will be helpful.

Sami