Wednesday, June 19, 2019

Clematis Pounding to Naturally Dye Papers/Cloth


My lovely Clematis in full bloom on a rainy day!

I've been away on vacation - and I'll post some photos for that trip a bit later. But today I'm excited about trying a natural dyeing technique using plant material pounded by a wooden mallet onto a polyester interfacing material that was on top of watercolor paper. These are 6x9" papers pounded with the wooden mallet (an antique that was in my Dad's collection of tools) on the concrete patio floor!

Here are the images to (maybe) inspire you to try something totally different and spark your creative drive! Above is the plant products that I used. Below, just different views of the "finished" print.





I was inspired to play today as I was cleaning up my office so that I may return to painting once again. I found an article that I tore out of my Cloth Paper Scissors Magazine (July/Aug 2016 issue, p. 77-81) by Dorit Elisha entitled: Eco-Dyed Collage - Artist & Nature Collaborate."

One of the "problems" or perhaps "happy accidents" occurs after the drying of the pounded images. Once these are completely dry, they will have faded some or perhaps changed coloration. When they are dry, I will add either watercolor or maybe acrylic paints - or maybe some pen & ink - to work up the image of a Clematis vine hanging in full bloom - or maybe decayed bloom! We'll see later! Stay tuned!

No comments: