Saturday, May 16, 2020

Chipping Sparrows on the Easel Today


Two Little Chipping Sparrows - Pastels - 6"x10" each

I'm still in the learning phase with using Panpastels, and enjoying every moment of it! It's so much fun working directly with pigments - and the temptation to use my fingers to blend the colors (unsafe due to chemicals in various colors) has diminished greatly with this product. That's because we use soft, shaped sponges to apply and blend colors on the papers. There's also so much less pastel dust (also poisonous to breathe in), so it's both safer and easier to use today than throughout history!

The following shows the progress on each as I worked on them yesterday.

And the finished pieces:

To be honest, I actually prefer the paintings without the background color added. I like the birds against the subtle gray paper.

What's your opinion on that?

No comments: