Thursday, June 18, 2020

For the love of June

Flocks of Cedar Waxwings pass through our area in spring and fall - always a joy to see!

Ever since our Spunky pup died, I've set about feeding the birds much more seriously. Now I've always feed the birds, but now that we no longer plan to have a pet, the birds are my friends on the porch.

If you've been following me for awhile, you already know that birds are one of my favorite subjects to paint. I've been photographing them for many years, and painting them for the past 8-10 years or so.

So feeding the birds even more than I already was so I could attract the birds closer to the camera, meant I needed more feeders! And they must be placed strategically outside my office windows so I can photograph from within the office. We have a very small yard, and it's mostly garden. We're on a corner lot - meaning the birds are frightened off by traffic - despite it being relatively rare. All these things had to be considered prior to installing more feeders.

When I needed elastic for mask-making, I stopped into JoAnn's and behold, they had various shepherd hook hangers on sale for 70% off! Perfect solution to how to hang more feeders in the yard! I bought two and each has 3 hooks to suspend feeders or plants. The "what" problem was solved. Now to the "where" these new poles should go. One is across from the front door - I can see it while I'm eating lunch in the dining room. That one had one flower basket and two Hummingbird feeders on it.

My feeder assortment as of this moment...

The second one is in the corner of the garden, behind a nice evergreen on the street side, and surrounded by low bushes and some heuchera (coral bells) plants. With lots of space below the feeders so I have a place to stand when filling them all, and the ground feeding birds have room to scavenger what they need.

Baltimore Oriole checking out the new Oriole feeder

Somewhere along the way, I bought an Oriole feeder - bright orange to attract them to oranges and jelly. They came for a total of two days, then disappeared, much to my sadness. So that feeder is now in the garage. I'll try again next fall during migrating season, and again in the spring - with hope to have them stop for awhile, not just eat and fly off!

Finches & Hummingbirds are regulars to our feeders

And Bluebirds stay year-round so the feeders are always busy - especially so in the spring, with their young.

I now have three Hummingbird feeders, two mealworm feeders (for the Bluebirds), two thistle feeders for the Goldfinch, House Finch and Purple Finch, and two "regular" feeders to accommodate the gazillion sparrows that come to visit and dine I toss out some nuts for the two Catbirds that come calling - and I do mean "Calling!" Their meows as they depart with their nuts are their way of saying thank you - at least that's how I'm interpreting it! Mrs. Robin loves the dried meal worms as much as the Bluebird families that have been coming for several years. Mama Robin fills her beak and rushes to her peep-squawking offspring while I watch.

Robins are always a favorite of bird watchers, harbingers of Spring, cute speckled kids, and a wonderful set of songs!

Of course, one doesn't feed the birds without attracting other critters to the feeder sites. There are at least 2 adolescent squirrels that come calling, plus an adorable chipmunk or two - all of which will, no doubt, multiply as time goes by... A problem to be considered at a later date!


Mind you, I THOUGHT that feeding the birds would be a cheaper alternative to the costs of Spunky's special diet and medications. Two months into this more "serious" form of bird feeding, I'm learning that feeding the birds is just as expensive as any other pet might be! At least, that's how it's worked out so far for me... However, I've captured some fun photos of my feathered friends - a hobby I've had for years. Now, several of the birds recognize me and are willing to land on the porch while I'm sipping tea while relaxing in the porch swing.

1 comment:

Kevan Lunney said...

oh so heavenly, Pat! I'm surprised at the diversity available to you. The only time I fed the birds I got seeds in the basement. Mice! Once it was Indian corn decorating the front door, then basement!