Wednesday, December 11, 2019

Experimentation with Pan Pastels!


My very first attempt at actually using the Pan Pastels to create a painting. Mind you, I've actually NEVER painted roses before in my life! They've always seems too complicated with all those interwoven petals winding about a tiny bud. But here I am, playing in the studio with Pan Pastels doing something I never, ever planned to do! And I'm having a ball!!!


I stopped at Trader Joe's yesterday to pick up a little holiday bouquet to practice on. For $6.00, I bought this little bunch of cheerful flowers to practice on.



As usual, here are a few "step-by-step" photos of the current process. I'm not done, of course, but you can watch how the painting progresses, going forward. Maybe tomorrow I'll have it completed. Meanwhile, here's a peak at how things are going so far.

Above, I added the evergreen twig...
Below, I removed it, deciding to add those details with colored pencils later in the process.

Filling in the white mums a bit, adding depth to the roses with colored pencils...
My pile of supplies - Prismacolor Pencils and Pan Pastels. I'm currently using , as I have them on hand.

I'm happily surprised at how little dust and mess these pastels make as I use them. The sponges are so easy to clean by wiping them on paper towels, too. Mixing colors on the sponge applicators is also easy. Everything about this process, so far, as been both fun and easy!

No comments: